JFK Motorcade Route

JFK Assassination
Dealey Joe

Re: JFK Motorcade Route

Post by Dealey Joe »

I can agree with that.the riders on the rear would have blocked most any shooting from behind.What would have been the repercussions of a SS agent being killed?
Michael Dell

Post by Michael Dell »

Well, if one of those secret service guys gets hit, that's another bullet they'd have to explain. And they were trying to keep things to three shots. But I reckon when you're shooting magic bullets, anything is possible...
dankbaar

Post by dankbaar »

David Perry and Gary Mack maintain that it was not possible to get onto The Stemmons Freeway from Main street. Jack Rivell (Dallas Police) assured that it was possible. The investigation that I have done, indicates that Mack and Perry were right. It would be worthwhile for Dalles residents to check with people from that timeframe. Jerry Craig or Dealey Joe? Wim
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

I don't have road information from 1963.My GPS maps show no on ramp from Main onto Stemmons.I will have jerry to check it out if he is there before me.I know there have been changes to streets over the years.
Phil Dragoo

Route 77 Traffic

Post by Phil Dragoo »

To reach the Trade Mart from Main Street the agents decided to use the Stemmons Freeway (Route No. 77), the most direct route. The only practical way for westbound traffic on Main Street to reach the northbound lanes of the Stemmons Freeway is via Elm Street, which Route No. 77 traffic is instructed to follow in this part of the city. ( See Commission Exhibit No. 2113, p. 34.) Elm Street was to be reached from Main by turning right at Houston, going one block north and then turning left onto Elm. On this last portion of the journey, only 5 minutes from the Trade Mart, the President's motorcade would pass the Texas School Book Depository Building on the northwest corner of Houston and Elm Streets. The building overlooks Dealey Plaza, http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/wa ... .htmlApril 24 LBJ said JFK would be at a luncheon in Dallas that year.The Secret Service destroyed files for the year from that date forward when ARRB requested all assassination-related records.Connally (Lyndon's Boy John) bullied Jerry Bruno, advance man, and Jerry Behn, Secret Service White House SAIC, into accepting the Trade Mart venue, although it had sixty exits and overhead catwalks.JFK was pressured into attending Congressman Al “Wink” Thomas' ceremonial dinner November 21 in Houston.Hence JFK would move from Love Field to the Trade Mart via Dealey Plaza because Main to Houston to Elms to Stemmons was the Route 77 Traffic Plan for the city at that time.The thing was set up—not four days ahead, on the 18th or 19th—in April.
Dealey Joe

Post by Dealey Joe »

Jerry has determined that there is no access to Stemmons North from Main and as you say the motorcade had to get over to Elm St. to get onto Stemmons. I checked a 1963 map and the roads there were the same then as now.Actually Dealey was the end of the parade. from there it would be hiway speed to Trade Mart.I had heard past remarks that the motorcade route had been changed to go around Main on Houston and then Elm.So this is not true, as you say the route would have been chosen instead of changed.Now i can quit worrying about this.