if Lincoln hadn't been elcted president no civil war?

JFK Assassination
Christian Hansen

if Lincoln hadn't been elcted president no civil war?

Post by Christian Hansen »

i just wonderes if Abraham Lincoln hadn't beed elected president or presidential candidate for that matter if Douglas or Breckenridge had been elected president in 1860 would the civil war have broken out and would the southern states and Virginia have suceeded
Kirk

Re: if Lincoln hadn't been elcted president no civil war?

Post by Kirk »

Christian,Ultimately the Civil War had to happen. Our country like almost all countries through out the ages only learn their true humanity by hardship brought by our own hands and hearts. The Civil War was ultimately whether we the people were worthy of our better angels. Lincoln of course did not start, nor instigate the War, but maybe by his being facilitated the timing. Lincoln was truly a moderate in his time and action. I believe the driving force behind both his supporters and those that chose to be the enemy was the fact that Lincoln embodied the future.Just a thoughtKirk
Bob

Re: if Lincoln hadn't been elcted president no civil war?

Post by Bob »

Kirk wrote:Christian,Ultimately the Civil War had to happen. Our country like almost all countries through out the ages only learn their true humanity by hardship brought by our own hands and hearts. The Civil War was ultimately whether we the people were worthy of our better angels. Lincoln of course did not start, nor instigate the War, but maybe by his being facilitated the timing. Lincoln was truly a moderate in his time and action. I believe the driving force behind both his supporters and those that chose to be the enemy was the fact that Lincoln embodied the future.Just a thoughtKirkExcellent take Kirk. There is nothing civil about war as somebody once sang. Meanwhile, look at the U.S. today. Wars in Iraq and Afghanitan. Bases everywhere. Troops everywhere. The Military Industrial Complex is alive and well. Plus, you have folks like Blackwater and Halliburton that profit from war BIG time. Finally, Lincoln and JFK both tried to screw with the power elite and their money. That to me was the biggest reason both of them were killed.
kenmurray

The Conspirator

Post by kenmurray »

Movie about Mary Surratt, the one woman charged and later hanged for conspiring to assassinate Lincoln coming to theaters on April 15th. Directed by Robert Redford:http://www.theamericanfilmcompany.com/f ... nspirator/