Why the 6.5mm Carcano Rifle was Labelled Inaccurate

JFK Assassination
Dealey Joe

Re: Why the 6.5mm Carcano Rifle was Labelled Inaccurate

Post by Dealey Joe »

Here are the pics on the Carcano, looks to be a sawed off barrell?Note the clip hanging out the bottom of the magazine, this should not happen with the carcano? unless it was bent maybe?
RobertP

Post by RobertP »

Dealey Joe wrote:Robert I would truly love to fire one of those, be a thrill I'm sureLOL Joe, it sure would. I would truly hate to be on the receiving end of two of those things.
RobertP

Post by RobertP »

Dealey Joe wrote:Here are the pics on the Carcano, looks to be a sawed off barrell?Note the clip hanging out the bottom of the magazine, this should not happen with the carcano? unless it was bent maybe?Hi JoeSorry to be so long answering you.While the barrel does look sawed off, this was indeed the stock barrel length for a 6.5mm Carcano M91/38 short rifle. The rifle does almost look like a toy with its 21 inch barrel, but looks huge next to a Carcano carbine with a 17 inch barrel.Short rifle:https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... FZFzgiQThe protruding clip seen on the Carcano in your photo has been a source of debate for many years. In military use, rifle cartridges for the 6.5mm Carcano were delivered to the troops in pre-loaded clips of six cartridges. When the clip was empty, after the last bullet was chambered, there was nothing to hold the clip in place, and it fell out the bottom of the rifle's magazine with only gravity acting on it.WC supporters tell us that, due to Oswald re-using the clip so many times, it eventually became spread, and hung up on the inside of the magazine, instead of falling out. However, tests have been performed on these clips, showing that, once a clip becomes this spread, it will no longer function effectively as a clip; making it impossible to chamber bullets from it.